It’s been quite a day and I need some comfort. So comfort food it is going to be, tonight.
And steak and egg spells comfort to me. Very famous pub food, and I have spent my fair share of times in pubs: don’t judge!
But tonight it’s not just steak, it’s Ostrich steak. and a Fillet steak at that. I saw these beautiful fillets at the market yesterday and I just couldn’t resist. Ostrich is game meat, lean, low in fat and high in proteins. Very healthy.
I actually visited an ostrich farm a few months ago that offered ostrich rides, and I’ve always wanted to ride an ostrich but unfortunately I didn’t really get the chance to. Not relevant to my dish tonight, enough banter.
With my steak and egg, I’m also making potato. Imagine if a potato salad had a baby with a potato bake, the baby would be my potato I’m making tonight. Still warm and rich but without cheese on top, instead a balance of salty, sweet, spicy and rich.
Tonight: Grilled Ostrich fillet, spicy bacon potato served with a poached egg and a red wine sauce.
– Ostrich fillets. – 3 eggs
– baby potatoes.
– bacon – 3 pepperdews. – 1 preserved fig. – 1 red onion. – 2tbs rocket. – chilli flakes
– cup of milk. – 1 tbs mascarpone – slice of cheddar cheese.
-1/2 cup Red wine. – 3 tbs Soy sauce. – 2 tbs rice vinegar – 1/4 cup of orange juice, pepper, salt, masala( see below)
– sweet corn and green beans
Potato- this has 3 components:
1. cut into equal sizes, leave skin on. Boil in salty water until cooked.
2. In the meantime, into hot pan add bacon( 4 diced bacon back/ any cut) and brown, then chopped onions, pepperdews, fig, chilli flakes and rocket. Combine well and take off stove.
3. Into pot, pour in cup of milk and heat up. Before it begins to boil, add mascarpone, slice of cheddar cheese and whisk until combined well. Then season with salt and pepper, take off the stove.
– Mix all of the above in a casserole dish and into oven at 230 deg for 10 min.
– Poached egg- add boiled water into pan and 1 tbs of vinegar, bring to light boil. Crack egg into cup, then pour into lightly boiling water, one by one. Reduce heat- don’t let the water bubble into boil. Cook for 4 min.
– Ostrich fillet- marinade in soy sauce, vinegar, masala spice, pepper, for at least 3 hrs. Then grill fillet, 2 min on each side for medium rare and wrap in foil to rest for 5-10 min, depending on the size of your steaks.
– Red wine sauce- Pour fillet marinade liquid into pan, add 3/4 cup of red wine and reduce. When it’s half the initial liquid, add orange juice and rest of the red wine. Cook for 5 more min.
– Veggies- lightly boil corn and green beans for 2 min, then cool immediately.
Dish up and serve.
Bon Appetit! This has been my meal of the week, and the family concurs. Hope you enjoy it as well.
My homemade masala spices contains equal parts of; nutmeg, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, cayenne, coriander powder, salt, pepper. Then mix together.