Yay, this day is a good day. Happy birthday to my 3rd baby! With my son being the first and my husband the 2nd!😊
My blog turns 1. Such a milestone. Lots of writing later, lots of technological problems later, and lots of recipes later. 150 blog posts and a loyal following, I am so blessed.🙏
To my husband, the pillar of my strength, my rock, my blog proof reader, my mostly honest critic and my guinea pig, who has to eat everything I make. And not everything turns out well!🙈
To my son, who inspired me to start cooking. I hope you enjoy my food forever and how I appreciate your sophisticated palate my boy😋😊! My food is only good when I see a smile on your face and you tell me : ” mommy; the chicken is amazing!” NB: every meat is chicken in his little 3 year old mind.😘
It all started as a matter of necessity, when I was forced to learn to cook as I had to move to a little town in North Natal for my medical internship and the food in the all 4 restaurants in town, which were more often closed than open during what normal people would call normal restaurant hours. And the food was mostly bad and sometimes tolerable.
Working between 270-300 hrs a month, nursing a newborn, attempting to be a fairly pleasant wife and running a household; there was little time left for anything else in the day. But on principle, I could not keep paying for food so substandard, so unhealthy and dripping with fat at the best of times.
Mostly though, I wanted my son growing up with good eating habits and a good, healthy relationship with food. Food is for nutrition, to be enjoyed and not just a means to an end; and definitely not for filling any emotional or psychological voids.
I believe in a few principles about food:
- Food is for nutritional purposes: mind, body and soul. Again, not to fill up any voids.
- Food is to be cherished and enjoyed, not exploited.
- Food must look appetising before it can taste delicious. I do love goodlooking food.😊
- Eat it as close to the natural form as far as possible🍈.
- Food must be balanced. A bit of everything( carbs, fat, protein, sugar) but importantly in moderation and in accordance to your body’s needs! NB: not wants or craves
- A treat once in a while is what makes life fun, food interesting and our lives worth living.
I hope you have enjoyed the last year as much as I have.
Cheers to a hundred more!!!!!❤️🍻🎁